Friday, July 15, 2011

Elephant in the room, council amalgamations

As The Advocate approached councillor Hawkins to write this blog the usual 250-300 word limit has been waived ... "Let’s say it… the big A word… AMALGAMATION! Is resource sharing the alternative or is amalgamation inevitable? It’s a hot topic amongst communities, polarising and can create identity-crises. It can also make
councillors nervous about their seat! ... [not to mention GMs and other senior functionaries]

I recently agreed to a motion at my council stating that I don’t support compulsory amalgamations. I did this because I don’t support them for the sake of doing them and the data has not yet landed on my desk. I am yet to see a ‘council alone’ versus ‘council and neighbour’ scenario (except for the recent Break O’Day and Glamorgan-Spring Bay voluntary amalgamation process that did not proceed). Simply forcing councils to do it might not always provide the best economic outcomes (let alone social, cultural and environmental ones). The proof is yet to be provided but I am ready to be sold on the concept. I will say that the decision should not be based on economics alone.

I will put on record that ... click here to read the full story online at The Advocate

No comments: