Friday, December 14, 2012

GM Robert Dobrzynski Responds

From: Robert Dobrzynski
Sent: Friday, 14 December 2012 2:39 PM To: Lionel Morrell Cc: Mayor; records Subject: RE: Launceston City Council Special Meeting 17 December 2012
Hi Lionel,

I regret that we have been unable to provide more advanced notice of the agenda for the Special Meeting beyond the legislative requirements. As you would be aware it is the Council's practice to endeavour to do so whenever possible. I received the last, and most critical piece of information for the agenda at 4.56pm yesterday. My staff have advised me that the specific button for access to the agenda on the Council's website page will be available within the hour. 

In regard to your question taken on notice at the Council Annual General Meeting, I understand that Mike Tidey is preparing the information.
Regards,
 

Robert Dobrzynski
General Manager
Launceston City Council
M 0417 158 541
T 03 6323 3102
F 03 6323 3493
 
  

Dear Robert,


Thankyou for sending me the relative legislative basis for Special Council Meetings. I had already researched this, and I am not sure if this accords with Council’s policies for such which are additional imposts on the process, of course.

I continue to be disappointed that you have not included the Agenda and associate documents, and I am surprised these are still not available.

I do not understand the urgency for the particular items that would warrant a special meeting. These matters seem to me at least, rather routine.

I also take the opportunity to remind you that the question I raised at the AGM about the value of ratepayer’s assets at Inveresk, still has not been answered as we near the end of the second week. You made the aside when I asked the question of the Mayor, that had it been asked in writing, then you would have provided it at the AGM.

Of course, the question of gifting these assets to UTAS wasn’t known publicly at the time the deadline for written questions had closed, so it wasn’t recognised as an issue.

I hope that my earlier letter to the Mayor will also be answered by him, as I don’t think you have covered the whole matter as the individual with the legislative authority to prepare the Agenda for Special Meetings of Council.

Regards,
Lionel Morrell
President 
Tasmanian Ratepayers Association Inc.


Sent: Friday, 14 December 2012 11:03 AM
To:  Lionel Morrell
Cc: Mayor; Aldermen
Subject: Launceston City Council Special Meeting 17 December 2012


Dear Lionel,

I note your communication to the Mayor and Aldermen regarding the availability of the agenda for the Special Council Meeting to be held on Monday December 17. I note further your inscription URGENT COMMUNICATION on the communication.

As the individual with the legislative authority to prepare the agenda for Special Meetings of Council and in view of the urgency you have attached to the requirement for a response, I have expedited my consideration and reply to the matters you have raised.

Please find attached an extract from the Local Government (Meeting Procedures) Regulations 2005. In particular, I would refer you to the provisions of Regulations 8 (1) (b) (i) and 8 (8).

The Council is complying with all provisions of the regulations in regard to the notice and agenda for Special Meetings of Council. The very nature of Special Meetings are outside of the normal scheduling of Council Meetings at which decisions are made by Aldermen. The requirements for notice of such Special Meetings are accordingly significantly shorter than those imposed upon Ordinary Meetings of the Council in order to accommodate the atypical circumstances of matters which come before Special Meetings for consideration.

Please be assured that the Council makes every endeavour to provide as much notice as possible of Special Meetings, including details regarding the reports and issues that will be considered at such Special Meetings. On occasions however circumstances beyond the Council's control vitiate these endeavours.


Robert Dobrzynski 

General Manager 
Launceston City Council 
M 0417 158 541 
T 03 6323 3102 
F 03 6323 3493 

No comments: