Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Mayor votes to censure himself

             
Article about Southern Midlands Council Mayor.
                       
Mayor votes to censure himself
  At last week's Southern Midlands Council meeting, the Mayor Tony Bisdee voted with his fellow c  ouncillors in favour of a motion calling his conduct totally unacceptable.
  
Cr Bisdee formally apologised to the council and the community and acknowledged his actions were unacceptable.

His apology reads:
"In recognition of the unanimous decision carried by the Southern Midlands Council this morning I make this personal and formal apology today to my fellow councillors, the Southern Midlands Council staff, ratepayers and residents of the Southern Midlands Council for my recent indiscretions and actions regarding my recent court convictions for traffic offences.

"This was an inappropriate and unacceptable action on my behalf and I acknowledge it has reflected poorly upon the good community and public reputation of the Southern Midlands Council as a highly regarded Local Government Council.

"I also acknowledge that my unacceptable actions have severely impacted upon my fellow councillors and all those associated with the Southern Midlands Council and for this I apologise again.

"There is no valid or reasonable explanation for my actions other than to say that I unconditionally accept responsibility for these actions and accept the penalties imposed through the court process.

"I will ensure that these circumstances will not arise or eventuate at any time in the future."

He added that there was no valid or reasonable explanation for his actions.

Councillor Don Fish said he would have preferred a no-confidence motion but did not believe there was enough support.

He also believed the Mayor should have resigned but there was no mechanism to force this outcome.

"We have no power over the Mayor," he said.

"Whatever we do or say, we can't force him to resign. It's all over and done, now we just have to carry on."

Cr Bob Campbell told ABC Radio that at a workshop meeting the day prior to the council meeting, the general manager 'virtually gagged' councillors speaking up about the Mayor at the upcoming council meeting.

No councillors or officers made any comments about Cr Fish's motion against the Mayor. There was a strange silence during this portion of the meeting.

No comments: