Wednesday, October 1, 2014

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Candidates Declared

Well, at last the nominations are closed and we know the field of hopefuls for Alderman of the City of Launceston. 

Firstly, good luck to those of you who have put your hands up to attempt to make a difference in how our city will be shaped for the next four years.

To you, the eligible voters, it is now your time to assess the various capabilities of the 25 aspirants and vote for those you think will be capable of making this City not good, but great.

You need to try to assess, not only their capabilities, but also their time commitment to the position. The position of Alderman needs to be viewed as a privilege to serve and not a right or just a job. 

It requires a full commitment to its various requirements (not just some of them) together with a desire to work as a team. 

One person cannot make changes without the support of a majority of the other alderman. 

To that end as a standing Alderman I would like to agree with Pamela Nathan's comments (Examiner, Sept 30) regarding the time and commitment needed as a Council Alderman. 

Prior to my election in 2011, I put Council aspirations on hold until I had retired from my accounting partnership. I am grateful I took this route. Participating fully as an Alderman is much more than a fortnightly meeting. 

I am actively involved in nine council committees or Authorities, requiring meetings, reading and action. Much has to be read and understood prior to council meetings, taking several hours out of every Sunday. 

Time must be made for constituents and their issues as well as supporting many local functions and events. 

I have embraced these demands over the past three years and believe that I am an active and fully committed Alderman. A constant media presence does not necessarily reflect action that is taking place. 

Your vote is important, so please make it count ... Alderman Hugh McKenzie

No comments: